Monday, January 14, 2008

A Personal Philosophy of Public Librarianship

I’ve been retired a short time and felt it was time for me to share a few thoughts on being a public library reference librarian. When I began to work on my library masters degree I was sure that I wanted to go into academic libraries. Often I have considered health science/hospital librarianship because that area became my specialty. However, I remained a public librarian despite the dismissive attitude many professional librarians have towards the work public librarian do.

I must admit the work was not always the challenge our education promised. Nor does the public know that we continuously update that education. Occasionally lady librarians are addressed as “dolly,” “honey,” or “dear.” There are still those who are unaware that most librarians are techie geeks. Only a couple of years ago someone explained to me, in excruciating detail, all about “the Internet and GOOGLE.” Generally we ignore the unintended insults, smile, and say thank you for such useful information.

Little do our librarian colleagues in other information venues or the public at large appreciate the variety and pace that makes our jobs constantly interesting and continuously informative. So many different questions, requiring varied approaches, and so little time! It’s fun; it’s an opportunity; it’s addictive.

Public librarians not only need to know reference and reader’s advisory resources, they must keep current with the latest technologies and best sellers. Librarians must be resourceful, ingenious, and flexible. They must be psychologists, mind readers, and diplomats. They are teachers, sympathetic ears, and friends. We love doing it all.

What follows is a portion of a letter of thanks to the community I sent to local papers upon my retirement. It expresses the life of a public librarian who has established personal, long-term, relationships with library patrons. I will miss them, and I hope they will miss me too.

“Throughout the years many of you have shared your ideas on books, shown me photos of your grandchildren, and challenged my ingenuity to find answers to some tough questions. What a joy it has been to see a young teen grow into an adult who is beginning law or medical school. Teen or adult, you have trusted me with a wide range of questions, from serious health inquiries and journal searches to phone number requests and stock quotes from 1983. Each day I have learned something new from you.

Thank you for all those wonderful years and for the opportunity to serve the community in a setting that provides marvelous research tools. Thank you for your smiles, chats, and reading suggestions. I know the library will continue to provide for your needs. I will miss being a part of your future.”

No comments: